Thursday 6 November 2008

Entertainment / Ideas / Words

Entertainment: Just last night I was reminded of the occasion when, as a youngter, a rocket firework shot up into the air, did its explosive thing, and then limply fell upon a burger van amidst a big crowd at the Spennymoor Fireworks Display.

Briefly recount a memory, from childhood, that featured either a bonfire or fireworks.

Ideas: I'm guessing there's something a bit creative about you. As I dropped my young friend (step-son / spiritual advisor / fellow magician) off at school earlier, an idea occured to me for a short story that would be based around two adult characters who meet at the edge of their children's playground.

Have you had any energising ideas recently - for writing, for home decoration, for things to do, for recipes, for anything?

Words: I recently listened to a gorgeous, simple interview with Guy Garvey, of the band Elbow. Amongst other things, the naming of the band was discussed. The name 'Elbow' came from a line in Dennis Potter's 'The Singing Detective', in which a character suggests that elbow is the most sensuous word - to speak - in the English language.

Do any other contenders spring to mind for this title of 'Most Sensuous Word to Speak, in the English Language'?

2 comments:

LB said...

I am in the middle of fulfilling my "earlier in 2008" energising idea, if that counts? I am less energised now than when I started, tis true.

Most Sensuous Word? It's not "elbow" I don't think....

This comment brought to you by the word verification "beemint", which is something that would be worth seeing.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I always thought bon homme was pretty sexy. Except it probably isn't even French. Pretty sexy, though.

When I was a child I lit and threw a firecracker. It didn't burst. So I picked it up to see what went wrong. THEN it blew.

Five minutes later, after being medicated, I lit and threw another cracker that didn't go off until I picked it up.

My name: Loser. Not a sexy word, either.