Thursday 4 September 2008

Literature / Film and Sport

The latest incarnation of A Post Box follows, thus: I aim to post only once per week, with between 2 and 5 questions offered up for response, dissection or rejection. Play along, pass it on, stick it in your pipe, and so on. It's A Post Box, it's a public Post Box, and so all links and flaggings up are appreciated. So, we begin. Again:

--------------------------------------
LITERATURE / FILM: I note some discussion of novels or ‘literature’ that are adapted for television and film. On a similar theme,

Are there any novels, novellas, or other pieces of writing, that you would like to see adapted for stage or screen?

Stephen Fry’s ‘The Hippopotamus’ always struck me as a particularly filmic novel, in a great British ensemble cast sort of way.

SPORT: I've recently been pondering the values that are implicit to introducing young children (the young hound, Jack, 7, in particular) to football (specifically) at the corporate end of the spectrum over the lower (local) level teams - Newcastle United over Newcastle Town, Manchester United over Macclesfield Town, kind of thing. Only very loosely related:

Is there a sports event or venue that you’ve not ever been to, but that you would like to experience in person, one day?

Counter to my above pondering, I've never been to Wembley, but would certainly like to - a football play-off final or a competitive international would be ideal.

3 comments:

LB said...

I have just read a terrific novel entitled "Broken" (by Daniel Clay) which I think would make a tremendous TV drama or Brit film.

There are many sports arenas I would love to go to. The Mestalla was one (although I won't get the chance as it is very sadly being vacated at the end of this season). I'd like to go to the Gabba (chance looming there, I think), the Allianz Arena or Westfalenstadion (shouldn't be too tough).

Oh, and all the remaining footie stadia in Holland of course (seven down, thirty or so to go).

Maybe the French Open tennis, also....

OldHorsetailSnake said...

The track and field events at the Olympics would be nice. Just so long as they don't throw in rhythmic swimming!! Just think of seeing the best in the world at every event -- wow!

Anna Francis said...

I have always wanted someone to make a version of Angela Carter's The Magic Toyshop - apparently one was made in the 80s but I have never seen it, so I would like a new version. It is one of my favourite books. I love the beautiful irish 3 - Aunt Margaret and her two brothers.
I would also like a version of The Time Travellers Wife, apparently Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt bought the rights to this book because they wanted to turn it into a film - and then got divorced...so that might never happen - but it is a beautiful book.
I am currently reading 'A History of Love' which would also make a great film, but it might be hard to do, as it jumps about a lot in time frames.
I always prefer to read a book rather than watch a film, Betty Blue was a good version on film, but I always prefer to see the characters in my own mind first.