Thursday 11 September 2008

Environment / Film / Language

Environment: Recently, I've been scrutinising the city where I live.

In the village, town or city where you live, which single feature of the natural environment most appeals to you? And which single feature of the built environment has most appeal for you?

For me, in Stoke-on-Trent, I most like the woodland at Trentham and Hanchurch. Also, the big hills that are dotted about afford really good views of the city. Of the built environment, it would have to be some of the big industrial buildings along the railway sidings, just to the north of the station. It's also visually pleasing when a bottle kiln seems to appear out of nowhere.

Film: This comes from my thinking about industrial landscapes (above).

Have you ever twice seen a film at the cinema? If so, what did you see?

I've done this only twice. The first occasion was when the Stoke Film Theatre were showing the original Get Carter - it was good for recalling home. More recently, I returned to the cinema to see The Dark Knight - I wanted to properly focus on the make-up, sound and physical tics of Heath Ledger's Joker.

Language: This one comes from hearing that a local secondary school have dropped the teaching of all modern foreign languages.

At the click of a finger, you will be afforded the ability to fluently speak an additional language. Which language do you choose?

Having had virtually no direct experience or interest in the country for just over 30 years, I've recently gathered an appetite for Spanish.

1 comment:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Click your finger and give me the Mexican language. Not Spanish, which is too too genteel. The reason I want Mexican is because in about 20 years they are probably going to outnnumber us white-eyes. Of course, I will probably be dead, but who cares?