Monday 23 June 2008

Tell: Geo-wow

Please forgive the title.

Recently, I experienced a geo-wow. In my '50 Walks in Staffordshire' book, I read of the Hanbury Crater - the result of the biggest, non-nuclear explosion of World War Two. The crater is 1/4 mile (400 metres) across, 100 yards (91 metres) deep and 24 miles from my front door. It was a bit of geography that produced a bit of a wow (with a nod to a bit of history).

Share with us a geo-wow of your own - anywhere that has struck you as pleasing and surprising - a hidden gem of a place.

1 comment:

LB said...

It's hardly a "hidden gem" but I remember standing in the snow and looking out over the vast expanse of the Grand Canyon and having a bit of a "wow" moment. It was both the amazing view and also the slight incongrousness of standing in snow whilst looking over something which is ostensibly desert....