Thursday 11 December 2008

Retail / Words / Honours

Retail: Despite the fact that not enough people have been buying from Woolworths, I hear that it is - was - one of Britain's favourite high street fixtures. As grim as the unfolding collapse of that business has been for its staff and their families, this has made me wonder about whether I hold any affinity for any high street brands. I think I'd feel sad at the disappearance of Marks and Spencers, as it reminds me of my grandfather.
.
Are there any high street names that you feel attached to, in a loosely emotional sort of way?
.
Words
: A novice writer is stuck. She needs help to complete the following sentence: 'As Clive opened the front door, the last thing he expected to be greeted by was...'
.
What comes next? What surprised Clive?
.
Honours: The very BBCish Sports Personality of the Year award for 2008 will soon be determined (best of a particular version of British and all that). My guess is that it'll go to the swimmer Rebecca Adlington. Talented as the whole short-list undoubtedly is, I wonder whether there are any prizes that would be equally - but differently - worth winning.
.
Name a really worthwhile prize - British or otherwise - that has yet to be inaugurated? (The kind of prize that would be really worth winning and that would capture imaginations.)
.

1 comment:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Hey, I hear the Eiffel tower is sick. Maybe you could get that for a prize. Maybe.